The group of S. Majid Hassanizadeh and Amir Raoof are expected to continue and intensify their scientific work in the framework of SFB 1313. Research Project A01 clarifies thermodynamics phenomena of porous materials in using DFT as a well-founded diffuse interface approach with average molecular resolution. In cooperation with Research Project A02 hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials, but also changes in wettability will be studied. These aspects are also particularly relevant on the small scale and will be studied in cooperation with the group of Majid Hassanizadeh and Amir Raoof at Utrecht University. Joint investigations of free flow/porous-media flow have started.
Exchange processes across a porous-medium free-flow interface occur in a wide range of environ-mental, technical and bio-mechanical systems. The primary objectives of this project are to (i) analyse and improve the theory, as well as (ii) offer solution methods for non-isothermal, multi-phase, multi-component flow and transport processes at a porous-medium free-flow interface and (iii) investigate the influence of these processes on both the porous medium and free-flow region for various application scales.
Publications in Project A02
- Bahlmann, L. M., Smits, K., Heck, K., Coltman, E., Helmig, R., & Neuweiler, I. (2020). Gas Component Transport across the Soil-Atmosphere-Interface for Gases of Different Density: Experiments and Modeling. Water Resources Research. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020wr027600
- Weishaupt, K., Terzis, A., Zarikos, I., Yang, G., Flemisch, B., de Winter, D. A. M., & Helmig, R. (2020). A Hybrid-Dimensional Coupled Pore-Network/Free-Flow Model Including Pore-Scale Slip and Its Application to a Micromodel Experiment. Transport in Porous Media. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11242-020-01477-y
- Jaust, A., Weishaupt, K., Mehl, M., & Flemisch, B. (2020). Partitioned Coupling Schemes for Free-Flow and Porous-Media Applications with Sharp Interfaces. In R. Klöfkorn, E. Keilegavlen, F. A. Radu, & J. Fuhrmann (Eds.), Finite Volumes for Complex Applications IX - Methods, Theoretical Aspects, Examples (pp. 605--613). Springer International Publishing.
- Chu, X., Wu, Y., Rist, U., & Weigand, B. (2020). Instability and transition in an elementary porous medium. Phys. Rev. Fluids, 5(4), 044304. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.5.044304
- Schneider, M., Weishaupt, K., Gläser, D., Boon, W. M., & Helmig, R. (2020). Coupling staggered-grid and MPFA finite volume methods for free flow/porous-medium flow problems. Journal of Computational Physics, 401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2019.109012
- Terzis, A., Zarikos, I., Weishaupt, K., Yang, G., Chu, X., Helmig, R., & Weigand, B. (2019). Microscopic velocity field measurements inside a regular porous medium adjacent to a low Reynolds number channel flow. Physics of Fluids, 31(4), 042001--. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5092169
- Yang, G., Terzis, A., Zarikos, I., Hassanizadeh, S. M., Weigand, B., & Helmig, R. (2019). Internal flow patterns of a droplet pinned to the hydrophobic surfaces of a confined microchannel using micro-PIV and VOF simulations. Chemical Engineering Journal, 370, 444--454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2019.03.191
- Weishaupt, Kilian, Joekar-Niasar, V., & Helmig, R. (2019). An efficient coupling of free flow and porous media flow using the pore-network modeling approach. Journal of Computational Physics: X, 1. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1016/j.jcpx.2019.100011
- Yang, G., Vaikuntanathan, V., Terzis, A., Cheng, X., Weigand, B., & Helmig, R. (2019). Impact of a Linear Array of Hydrophilic and Superhydrophobic Spheres on a Deep Water Pool. Colloids Interfaces, 3(1), Article 1. https://doi.org/10.3390/colloids3010029
- Chu, X., Yang, G., Pandey, S., & Weigand, B. (2019). Direct numerical simulation of convective heat transfer in porous media. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 133, 11--20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.11.172
- Sauer, E., Terzis, A., Theiss, M., Weigand, B., & Gross, J. (2018). Prediction of Contact Angles and Density Profiles of Sessile Droplets Using Classical Density Functional Theory Based on the PCP-SAFT Equation of State. Langmuir, 34(42), 12519--12531. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b01985
- Yang, G., Weigand, B., Terzis, A., Weishaupt, K., & Helmig, R. (2018). Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Flow and Heat Transfer in a Three-Dimensional Channel Coupled with Flow Through Porous Structures. Transport in Porous Media, 122(1), 145--167. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11242-017-0995-9
- Chu, X., Weigand, B., & Vaikuntanathan, V. (2018). Flow turbulence topology in regular porous media: From macroscopic to microscopic scale with direct numerical simulation. Physics of Fluids, 30(6), 065102. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5030651