Short Course Summary
The aim of the lectures is to give an insight into the physical-mathematical and numerical modelling of coupled free flow and porous-media flow systems. The special challenges of the physical-mathematical modelling will be discussed. Selected models will be used to illustrate how promising approaches can lead to incorrect results.
Key questions that will be addressed are:
- What are the most important fields of application (from salt precipitation of fuel cells and bio-technology)?
- What are the main challenges for modelling coupled porous media-free flow systems at interfaces on different scales?
Lecture I: Model concepts
- Free-flow system
- Laminar and turbulent flow
- Boundary layer effects
- Porous-media system
- Introduction to different coupling concepts (pro and cons)
Lecture II: Coupling concept for mass, momentum and energy transfer
- Coupling: porous media (Pore scale) – free flow
- Coupling: porous media (REV-scale) – free flow
Lecture III: Numerical solution strategies
- Free flow (staggered-grid FV-Method)
- Porous media flow (box or FV-methods, cell-centred or MPFA)
- What is the best coupling concept?
- Discussion of different solution strategies